The MARS™ 6 Synthesis is a multi-mode microwave system that provides parallel reaction processing, under uniform conditions. The ability to run multiple reaction vessels simultaneously is advantageous for large laboratories, as it only takes 30 minutes to complete a set of 36 vessels. With the ability to accommodate multiple pressurized vessels, or up to a 5 L open flask, the MARS 6 Synthesis offers both high throughput for larger labs and flexibility to run batch syntheses.
- 1800 watts delivered energy for rapid heating of reactions
(regardless of the number of vessels in the cavity)
- Large microwave cavity allows for the greatest range of reaction vessels
- Specially designed cavity & waveguides to ensure uniform distribution of microwave energy (without the need for a mode stirrer)
- High resolution touchscreen with speakers
(No need for a laptop or external controller)
Why should I use a microwave?
Microwave technology has become a common tool for chemical synthesis both in academia and industry. Compared to conventional means of synthesis, the advantages of heating with a microwave include:
- Faster reaction times
- Greater yields
- Improved purity
- Better reproducibility
- Enhanced reaction control
*Source: Li, K.; Weber, A. E.; Tseng, L.; Malcolmson, S. J. Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 4239-4242.
Safe & dependable
The custom-engineered microwave cavity of the MARS 6 Synthesis is constructed of high-grade 316 solid-steel for maximum safety and coupled with a heavy-duty, spring-mounted door, featuring safety interlocks. CEM’s patented solid-state isolators protect the magnetron from reflected microwave energy, prolonging the lifespan of the system. Additional sensors ensure end-user safety at all times:
- Tempguard™ — user defined safe temperatures to prevent programming errors
- DuoTemp™ — optional dual-infrared and fiber-optic temperature measurement that prevents exothermic reactions
- Reactiguard™ — acoustic sensor disables heating
- SafetyLock™ Door — reinforced, steel frame design
- Turntable sensor — disables heating if vessel carousel stalls
The most accurate temperature control available.
Fiber-optic Temperature Control provides the most precise temperature measurement available, by directly measuring the temperature inside the reaction vessel. Electromagnetic stirring helps to ensure maximum agitation for your reaction mixture. Adjust the speed to guarantee your sample mixes each and every time.
- In-situ, fiber-optic temperature control comes standard on all MARS 6 Synthesis systems
- Optional, patented, floor mounted infrared temperature sensor
(not monitoring the side of the vessel)
- Allows the most accurate temperature monitoring, independent of reaction volume
with one system.
Reduce cost of ownership, while maximizing productivity. With the MARS 6 Synthesis, it is possible to perform organic synthesis, inorganic chemistry, nanomaterials production, or even analytical sample preparation. The same microwave uses specialized vessel sets for a wide variety of applications.
Intuitive Software Control
Simple, fast reaction programming.
Designed to make microwave synthesis virtually effortless, the intuitive MARS 6 Synthesis software features guided method programming for user-defined control. During the run, temperature, pressure, and power graphs are displayed in real-time on the built-in touchscreen. Training videos can be accessed directly from the touchscreen to educate new users on proper vessel assembly, system operation, and maintenance. Reactions, run data and methods can be recalled easily and exported onto a USB drive or printed from the built-in printer option.
Optimum Power Delivery
cavity & waveguides
The MARS 6 Synthesis features a large microwave cavity to allow for the greatest range of reaction vessels. Unlike other multimode parallel reactors, it has specially designed waveguides to ensure uniform distribution of microwave energy without the need for a mode stirrer.
Coupled with PowerMAX™ automatic power control technology, the MARS 6 Synthesis dynamically adjusts the power throughout the run to maintain a constant energy input without over energizing the reactions. This provides the optimal environment for reaction heating and consistent synthetic results.
Microwave Chemistry Applications
Fully customizable, the MARS 6 Synthesis benchtop system can be dedicated for synthesis or serve as an all-in-one microwave reactor for a variety of applications.
- Organic Synthesis
- Teaching Laboratories
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Nanomaterials Production
- Polymer Synthesis
- Parallel Reaction Processing
- High-throughput Laboratories
- Acid Digestion for Metals Analysis
- Solvent Extraction